Saturday, March 20, 2021

The Good and The Beautiful Pre-K Language Arts Course Set: flip through and thoughts

 A few years ago I discovered The Good and The Beautiful homeschool Curriculum and really appreciate it. I actually purchased History 1 and High School Language Arts 1 for myself and am enjoying it :) 

During their recent Early Bird sale for next school year, I purchased a few more reader books for me (and grandchildren when they are older) as well as their Pre-K Language Arts Course set for my grandchildren. I pray this post is helpful for those who are looking in to purchasing this for your preschoolers! [QUICK UPDATE! TG&TB has actually updated this curriculum; here is a link to their Preschool Language Arts Course Set ... this is pretty much what you see here on this blog post, as far as I can tell.]

My initial thought: I love it! Some of the pictures are animated BUT they are not silly or stupid. I'd call them "cute", "peaceful", "friendly", and other similar, happy adjectives.  Some of the pictures in the main Course Book are actual paintings, and usually there are instructions for some kind of simple picture study (think: Charlotte Mason). Sooooooo nice! So beautiful. 

Here is a photo of the Course Book, Activity Packet, Doodles & Pre-Writing, the Letters flip books, as well as two additional / optional flip books I decided to purchase: Butterflies and Beetles.

The next four photos are of the INSIDE of the Course Book ... I just chose them at random:




A peak inside the Letters A-F flip book ... first is the cover, and then I show what it looks like when you open it up. That's followed by the proper "flipped" flaps (?! not sure how to word that). Then the final 2 photos are of letter D with the proper "flipped" flaps. :)
NOTE: To keep costs lower, there is some work involved getting things set up initially ... in this case, parents are instructed to cut along the dotted lines so the pages turn in to flaps that can flip. 





Doodles & Pre-Writing - this book is packed with lots of practice for preschoolers!! I really like it a lot! I especially appreciate how most of the pages actually teach more than just tracing dots / dashes. 







Now for the Activity Packet ... this is definitely the most time-consuming item to set up in the Pre-K Languages Arts Course!! Thankfully it's a one-time deal ... meaning, cut it out and that's it. The pages are thick card stock with a slick coating, however for extra durability I chose to laminate everything. So, first I cut everything out, then I laminated it, and then had to cut it all out from the laminated pouches. Yes, it took a few hours, but I believe it's worth it for longevity. 
Note: I'm included photos of every activity in the packet.
Note: The Course Book has other activities within the book itself, but it also will point you to one of these activities when appropriate. 











A photo of the laminating process ...

Once everything was laminated and cut out, I separated each game and instructions into their own bags.

Beetle Flip Book ... the first page shows all of the beetles with their names. 

Here's what it looks like right after you flip the first page over: 

And then the matching flap: 

Butterfly Flip Book ... same as the Beetle Flip Book.



So there you have it! I plan to purchase a special bin for all of this and label it. We have not actually used it yet since I wanted to get it totally set up first. Now that it's set up, minus the bin, hopefully we'll put it to use soon. While my oldest grandchild, David, fits within the recommended age range of 3 to 5 years old, he might not quite be ready for all of it. We'll see!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated - I will get to them as soon as possible. Thank you!