Monday, June 30, 2008

Mayonnaise

Well, I felt bad about not posting anything yet!! The sprouts will be ready tomorrow or the next day, but instead of waiting for them, I decided to do a quick post on making mayonnaise.

We do not eat mayonnaise very often and I just cannot bring myself to buy the store brands. The 'health food store brands' are high quality ... with a price to match! While I do not go so far as to using grapeseed oil, I am at least content to know it is as fresh as possible with real ingredients that are usually on hand.

Total time is about 10 minutes from start to finish, including clean up. You will only need FIVE things: 1c oil of your choice (of course the different oils may change the flavor of the end product), 1 egg, 1 1/2T vinegar (or lemon juice if you prefer), 1/2t salt, & 1/2t mustard powder. I use a blender, however an electric mixer will work too.

Place everything EXCEPT the oil into the blender. Blend on low speed till mixed (a few seconds). Add the oil while the blender is on low (if you have a Vitamix, I set mine on variable speed 4) - the oil should be a slow, steady stream like this:
Here's a look from the inside just starting:
Below is a shot after about 20 seconds - the mixture will start to look more and more like mayo (mine looks more yellow here than it actually is .. the lighting was bad!). If you add the oil too fast, it will not blend properly ... so make sure to go slow! Soon it will get very thick; you may need to stop the blender to scrape down the sides.
Once all of your oil is gone, it should be done. Does it look like mayo? Does it taste like mayo? I've found that I like a little extra salt and vinegar in mine, however start with what I posted above, and adjust from there. Take notes and put your final adjusted recipe into your recipe box, book, or whatever.
This will make a little more than one cup of mayo; store in the refrigerator for up to about 2 weeks.

If you make it, let me know how it goes!
I am going to try to make an egg-free kind soon. I'll post that if and when it turns out.
In Christ,
Joanne

8 comments:

  1. Ok this is easy. But I am gadget without in my house...but I do have a mixer. So maybe I will try this to see how it goes.

    Seems like I would like to be your neighbor as you have many great tips.
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joanne,
    Mine is never consistent. Some times it will congeal and other times it turns into a liquid-y mess. It acts like it is starting to go and then, wham, passes the point of no return and I've wasted all those ingredients. Argh!
    Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
    I haven't made any in a while because my results are so inconsistent.
    By the way, I'm loving your new blog with just homemking stuff.
    My raspberries are ripening, I'm so excited to start making Jam again, and the local strawberry growers have booths set up with flats of them. I can't wait to get started!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Jennifer - I'm glad you are liking my blog so far :) I will do my best to keep it interesting and helpful!


    Mary ... Problems with mayo ... I'd suggest you try one of two things (if you have not already). Or try one, then the other, then both if one or the other does not work on their own (wow ... was that confusing?!).

    1 - use room temperature ingredients
    2 - do NOT add the vinegar or lemon juice till half the oil has been poored in

    For some reason, my mayo always works ... I honestly don't know why. If you try my suggestions, let me know if one works!!

    In Christ,
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooops .. forgot to say to Mary - I'm glad you like my new blog!!! I'm sure you will have some great suggestions along the way; feel free to speak up!

    Mmm, raspberries and strawberries! I was at a friend's house yesterday and she was showing me what she thought was either black raspberries or blackberries. I was sure they were not blackberries .. or at least not the kind in Washington. I told her the smell would be so good she'd want to bottle it up and spray it on her!!! I miss the smell of wild blackberries :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a new follower. Thanks for the recipe.
    what is a vitamix?

    ReplyDelete
  6. A vitamix is a super high speed blender :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have found out by using 1/2 EVOO and 1/2 coconut oil really helps the mayo set up every time. I also add 1T of fresh whey to ferment it, making it keep in the refrigerator for over 6 weeks (the longest it has lasted).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the mention of fermenting the mayo :)

    As for different oils ... I say "to each his own". I have tried to like olive oil mayo but so far it is NOT appealing to me at all. Though I've never tried coconut oil in mayo I know I would not like that either ... but I'd probably like both if they were processed to where they no longer had flavor!!

    I stick with the neutral tasting oils ... mainly sunflower oil. This post was done a long time ago and I've been considering doing a quick video, so thanks again for the fermenting comment!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated - I will get to them as soon as possible. Thank you!