Saturday, August 30, 2008

Stuffed peppers & guacamole

Sorry it's been so quiet around here! Other things are more important right now. I'm considering just adding this blog to my old one (that I post on more often) and somehow make labels to keep it separate? We'll see. For now though, here's what we ate for dinner the other day ... stuffed peppers and chips with guacamole ... yum!

It all started when I was dicing green peppers from the garden to go in the freezer. I had quite a few and thought, "Hmmm, I think I'll try to make stuffed peppers for dinner." Sounded like a good idea, however I have only made them ONE other time in my life. So, I grabbed a cookbook to give me a general idea. The recipes I found all had meat and other things I was not interested in using. So I did what I do best in the kitchen ... improvised and 'guesstimated'. I had left-over sorghum grain (cooked) and raw cheese in the fridge, fresh tomatoes on the counter, and of course an abundance of seasonings. I steamed the peppers (tops off, guts out) in a little water, covered, for about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, I mixed about 2c of sorghum, a few medium chopped tomatoes, a little bit of raw cheese (1/4c shredded?), salt, pepper, garlic powder, dried onion flakes, basil, oregano, and about 8 crushed saltine crackers. Scooped it all into the waiting peppers. Baked at 350 for 30 minutes. That was it.

This did not make enough for us to be full, so we also had guacamole and chips. I know, what an odd combination! It was good though. For guacamole, I just mash up 2 avocados and add the following: 2 romas diced small, juice of half a lemon, 1t salt and ~1t onion flakes. That's it. Simple and tasty.

1 comment:

  1. Bear won't eat cooked peppers, or any peppers for that matter. I grew up having stuffed peppers all the time, with meatloaf, it gave such a nice flavor to the hamburger.
    I love your guac recipe, my kids would even eat that, not too much heat.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated - I will get to them as soon as possible. Thank you!