Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Pancake mix in bulk ...

We had a large bag of brown rice flour that needed to get out of the way. The only thing we have been using it for is rice pancakes; once a week or so I'd make enough to last us two meals. Last month I decided to use it all up by making several batches of pancake mix (all the dry stuff). Here's what Brianna and I did:

I decided to do each batch individually rather than doing them all together. I gathered all the bowls and pans I thought I needed. I think I used 14? I measured out all the dry ingredients into each bowl. (4c flour [can use rice or wheat or half wheat and half corn], 3T baking powder, 1t salt, 1/4c sugar - or leave out if you are using liquid sweetener)

I made the press-and-seal / food-saver bags and Brianna labeled them with the proper wet ingredients so anyone making it would know what to add to it. (almost 4c of liquid (water, buttermilk, milk, non-dairy milk, whatever), 1/4c oil, 4 eggs and the sweetener if it's liquid)

Next I poured the dry ingredients into the bags.

And then I sealed them ...


The finished work.


This took a little over an hour to do from start to finish. This was our first time using the food-saver, so next time it might be a little quicker. Freezer zip-bags can also be used; I used the food-saver because that's what I had on hand.
We all found that we like to have the mix on-hand - it's much quicker to make up a batch of pancakes than it was before. We use them for breakfast, snacks, or as a bread with supper. I just use the basic recipe in my "New Cookbook"; I substitute brown rice flour instead of whole wheat (but will use whole wheat if I do not have rice) and used half the amount of suggested oil.
Next time I might just convert the basic recipe and make enough for a huge bucket of mix and then just scoop out about 4c and 2T of the mix and add the wet ingredients. This way I will not have to have a bunch of bags ... just one big bucket.

8 comments:

  1. Hello,

    Love your blog...justa quick question! Do you like using the sealer thing!? I have thought about getting one, but would like to hear from others who have them!

    Blessings, Kelly
    www.xanga.com/specialmom42000

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Kelly - glad you like it here. I'm really trying to keep it updated ... would like to post more, but time does not permit it!

    Do I like the food saver? Yes, but I have not used it much yet. I had one before and really liked using it to store my bulk items in to keep them fresher. I don't know what happened to my old one (we have moved a lot and I think it got left behind somewhere?). I bought this one off of craigslist for $25. If you are actually going to use it, then I'd say look for a used one in working condition. Do not pay full price :) You could even put an add on craiglist saying you are wanting to purchase a used one ... I'm sure several people have them sitting in the cabinets collecting dust.

    Lord bless you as you follow Him.

    js

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great idea. Why do you prefer the rice flour? Does it "fluff up" enough for pancakes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, rice flour 'fluffs up' just fine as long as it's not mixed too much. My youngest has a problem with wheat; I try to use rice as much as possible, however it does not happen as much as I'd like to. There's nothing like a fresh baked loaf of bread! Which, by the way, will be my next post.

    In Christ,
    js

    ReplyDelete
  5. great idea!! i actually have friends who have a pancake business. They mix whole grain powders and distribute them all over :-) I would LOVE to get a seal a meal!!
    Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love my Foodsaver. Wish the bags were cheaper, but I did notice some other companies were making the bags, and they are about half the price of what Foodsaver charges, and they work out the same.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made the rice pancakes this evening. They are very nice. Thank you for the recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joanna you can get a commercial bag on Amazon that is much cheaper. I think I paid something like 15.00 for 100' of 11" wide bags. I see these have went up in price now but you can probably find them for less than what's on the link here. They're nice thick bags and much less than Food Savers are.

    https://www.amazon.com/Commercial-Bargains-Vacuum-Sealer-Storage/dp/B00I1OM7TO/ref=pd_nav_hcs_bia_t_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=D54ZJVFA7F6JN20EMT5X

    Rose

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated - I will get to them as soon as possible. Thank you!