Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Hot summer days

Blah. It's hot. Hot. Hot. Hot. Praise the Lord. We have had a lot of chances to practice patience, long suffering, endurance, etc.

I cannot remember a time when we've done more laundry. Clothes are soaked through with sweat every day and stink. I am thankful for a washing machine and a laundry line right outside in the back yard. We used to have to walk past the church and across the street :)

The garden is suffering. The crops are suffering. Everything is dying. But, praise the Lord!

By mid-afternoon I am so wiped out that the last thing I want to do is prepare and cook supper. I may only have 3 (nearly adult) children, but I also feed several grown men. It's a blessing :) The last several days I have been preparing supper in the MORNING or at the very latest, preparing it along with lunch. I get everything ready that can be ready and then store it in the fridge. I take it out and cook it whenever it needs to be cooked in order to be done by supper time. It has been a great help to have this done and off my mind long before I start to get too tired to function normal.

Chicken and rice (cp - crockpot), quiche with veggies (cp), lasagna, enchiladas (cp), sweet potato stew stuff (cp), and so on ... all have been ready and waiting for us whenever it's time to eat. What a blessing!

3 comments:

  1. sweet potatoes, kidney beans, kale, mushrooms, tomatoes and seasonings: garlic, onion, rosemary, thyme, sage, bay leaves and red pepper. Oh yes, salt and pepper too. I think that's it. Rice or pasta can be added but we had enough to fill us up without the extra stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joanne, you sound like me when it gets hot! I like to keep my kitchen as cool as possible, too. I live in a big old farmhouse that keeps cool pretty long in the summer if we open windows at night and close them by 9 in the morning. But when it's humid...well, then we have even more opportunities to practice patience and praise to God even in warm weather! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated - I will get to them as soon as possible. Thank you!