Saturday, January 28, 2012

Garden progress

(see my previous post for our first garden post of the season)
I cannot believe it ... I ordered seeds yesterday from Baker Creek and they came TODAY. Brianna brought them out to us while we were working on the garden.

Today the boys are working hard sifting the dirt for a new spot. Corban designated this area for tomatoes. He was very pleased with how well his rock-sifting contraption is working. I am working on cleaning out some of the old beds and getting one ready for a new spinach crop. I also am cleaning the garden area in general - mostly raking leaves so the boys can mulch them and put them into the compost pile.

Here are a few pictures that were taken today:

Here are a few pictures of Corban's dirt/rock sifter. The boys scoop up dirt, dump it at the top, the rocks roll down and the dirt falls through.

They are mixing the layers of dirt - the rocky soil is on top I think and then under it is sandy soil. Soon it will all be mixed together, free of larger rocks (rocks bigger than 1/2" I think?).

Time out to look at the seeds.

Here are some pictures of the green houses Corban put up (with Tylor's help).

A view looking south towards our church.

 A close up of a door latch - Corban found a bag of these things at the thrift store.

Kale. There was a lot more of it but we just picked some.

Ok, back to work!

1 comment:

Comments are moderated - I will get to them as soon as possible. Thank you!