Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Homemade Whole Wheat Donuts / Doughnuts

Get out your Better Homes and Gardens "New" Cookbook and check out the cake donut / doughnut recipe. [What's up with the different spellings anyway?] We double it (all except the sugar which we use brown sugar and leave half off) and use whole wheat flour instead of white. No, this is not exactly a 'health food' ... but at least it's whole wheat, right?! If you don't have this cookbook, I'm sure any cake donut/doughnut recipe will do. Just keep in mind that you can half the sugar and you do not have to slather it with icing. I made a cinnamon sugar mix (1/4c white sugar and 1T cinnamon) that I dipped the top halves of the doughnuts in. Considering how many we made, this is a minimal amount of added sugar and still much less than what they would have started with had I used the full amount in the recipe.

Here is our happy helper Paul. He seemed to enjoy the task of cutting out the doughnuts.
Cook till golden brown on both sides ... be sure to keep the temp low enough that the oil does not smoke!
One of the best parts ... licking your fingers :)
YUM! This picture was taken when we were about half way through ... so we had about double this amount when done.
We each had one after supper and shared with others outside the house. The elderly we visit especially appreciate homemade goodies :)

6 comments:

  1. YUM! Those look GOOD! Thanks for sharing!

    God bless,
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not made homemade donuts in a long time.They look good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are good :)

    Renee ... I've been so busy lately but you have been on my mind. I pray all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. its been hard Joanne, Great uncle passed, funeral tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What kind of oil did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anna - we used canola oil.

    To all - I know deep frying is not healthy ... we do stuff like this only a few times a year and make sure to have a crowd that way we only get a little each :)

    Renee - Sorry to hear that. I pray all went well at the funeral?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated - I will get to them as soon as possible. Thank you!