Thursday, April 25, 2013

Canning - Ketchup and Beans

I am so thankful to have a day to catch up on cleaning and also a few days 'here and there' to get some canning done. I feel like a real 'keeper at home'.

The other day I canned 21qts of lentils. The day after that I canned 49 more quarts of black beans, lentils, garbanzo beans and potatoes. Today I am cleaning :) :) and canning ketchup. Here are some photos; not all the beans are pictured - 3 did not seal so they are in our fridge and we used three last evening. And in case you were wondering, I used Tattler lids on all of these. Here is a link to a post I did on Tattlers if you are interested. Have a great day!



I had to edit this to include a picture of the finished ketchup and my recipe if anyone is interested ...


Ketchup - yields 9 pints plus a little extra for lunch :)
12 - 6oz cans of tomato paste (or use your homemade stuff if you have it)
1 1/4c vinegar (acv or white; I used a mixture of both in this particular batch)
1 1/4c sweetener (I used 3/4c honey and 1/2c rapadura)
1 1/2t garlic powder/granules
1T onion powder/granules
1 1/2t allspice
3T salt
2t dry mustard
1 1/2t celery salt
6c water

I like to put the paste in the pan first, stir it up good, add the spices, sweetener and vinegar, stir it up good again, and then gradually add in the water. This seems to help smooth out the lumps a little easier.

Simmer and adjust seasonings to suit your own tastes. Fill jars and top with lid and band as per normal canning directions. Process in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes. Set on towel or cooling rack till completely cool. Remove bands, clean jars, check seals, store.

6 comments:

  1. Great, I never did learn how to can :( I wish I knew how to

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just edited the post to include the ketchup recipe. You can freeze it in individual bags if you do not know how to can. But ... water bath canning is very simple! Make sure the ketchup is hot, put it into the clean jars, top with hot lids and rings, put it in boiling water (completely cover it), bring it back to a boil if it stops boiling, and then let it boil for 15 minutes. Remove the jars and allow to cool before making sure they are sealed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA HA Your making homemade katsup and we are making our own mayo lol... too funny, Lord bless you all and maybe we can come for a bbq and we'll bring our mayo and find someone making their own mustard LOL. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure how much bbq'ing I'll be doing ... unless it's vegetables ;)

    God bless you & your family.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated - I will get to them as soon as possible. Thank you!