Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Tasty Tuesday: Homemade Pizza Rolls

Last Thursday morning I made pizza rolls for breakfast ... and they turned out VERY GOOD ... so I thought I would use this as my first "Tasty Tuesday" post. From here on out, I hope to have something to post each Tuesday that is worth making. I'm sure I'll miss a day 'here and there' but I will do my best to be consistent.

You will need a basic bread dough - nothing fancy, and any size to suit your family will do. I made enough dough for two loaves of bread; I did not measure things out but here is the approximate ingredients:

2c warm water
1T salt
2-3T olive oil
2-3T sweetener
~6c flour (I like to use half whole grain and half unbleached white)
a few large cloves of garlic, crushed
~1T Italian seasoning blend

I think that's it. Make the dough as usual, let it rise twice ... and while it is rising, be sure to have pizza sauce ready. You can use a store-bought jar of sauce or you can quickly make your own using a can or two of tomato paste, a little water (you'll want a pretty thick sauce so it does not run out all over the place!), some fresh garlic or garlic powder (a clove or two or a tsp or two of powder), salt (start with 1tsp), sugar (start with 1tsp) and oregano (start with a few teaspoons). The seasonings will depend on 1) how much sauce you are making and 2) your personal preferences. This is how I like MY sauce :) but you might like yours different. Just remember the key ingredients in pizza sauce are oregano, garlic and salt. The sugar takes the bite out of the paste, however you will not want to use as much as you would with a spaghetti sauce. Simmer the sauce gently a little while, covered. Remove from heat and set aside till needed.

During the rising time also you will want to get ready any other ingredients you wish to have in your pizza rolls. In my case, I put a bag of already cooked, frozen turkey sausage crumbles into the refrigerator the night before (I like to make up a larger batch of it every few weeks, portion it out and store in the freezer for a quick addition to various meals ... like biscuits and gravy ... or pizza rolls!). I sauteed diced onion in olive oil till soft and then I added the turkey sausage and cooked till heated through. 

I did a video for the rest; enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated - I will get to them as soon as possible. Thank you!