Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Tasty Tuesday: Make-Ahead Meals for Saturday Morning

I like to make our saturday morning breakfast ahead of time so I can rest and relax without having to worry about preparing a meal first thing in the morning. There are a few recipes I use for this and I'll share them with you today. All of them I got from books originally but changed them to suite my needs. Of course you too must also change them to suit your needs :)

This first one is pictured above:
Overnight Breakfast Casserole
1lb cooked turkey sausage
Enough cooked, diced or sliced potatoes to cover the bottom of the 9x13 pan
4c stale bread (hearty bread is best) broke into bite-size pieces
1/2 - 1c shredded cheese
1t dry mustard
1t salt (if your homemade sausage is not very salty)
1t pepper (optional; I do not use pepper)
10 eggs, whisked
3 1/2c milk (I use water and a little milk powder)
1/4c diced onion
1/2c each: diced tomatoes, bell peppers and mushrooms
1c lightly cooked broccoli pieces

Layer the potatoes, bread, and meat into a 9x13 baking dish/cake pan.
Whisk together the eggs, salt, mustard, pepper and milk. Pour over the ingredients already in the pan.
Add the cheese and then the veggies.
Cover and sit in fridge till the next morning.
Bake, uncovered, at 325 degrees for one hour, or till done/set. Tent with foil if the top is browning too quickly.

The first time we made this we did not add broccoli or potatoes and 'wish' we would have. We believe the broccoli and potatoes are a nice addition.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

Overnight Breakfast Porridge
3 1/2c water
3c quick oats
4 eggs
~1c chopped fruit
1/2c honey
1/2c milk (I just use an extra 1/2c water and add a little milk powder)
1/4c fat (I use olive oil)
1/2c raisins
1/2c coconut shreds or flakes (option)
2t baking powder
1t salt
2t cinnamon

Combine liquids and dry ingredients separately and then mix together. Spoon or pour into a greased 9x13 baking dish/cake pan. Cover and store in fridge till the next morning. Remove at least 30 minutes before baking.
Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for one our, or till firm (knife inserted into the center will come out clean).

We like to eat this in a bowl with some sort of milk/milk alternative over the top. Soaking it over night makes the raisins nice and soft.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And here is one I have NOT tried yet ... mainly because it calls for so much maple syrup. I might try it with 1/4c ... we'll see. I'm just putting it here because it sure looks good to me :) and it's another option for an easy meal on a saturday morning.

Overnight French Toast Strata
1 - 1lb loaf of french bread, cut into ~3/4" cubes (about 12c total) [obviously you can substitute whatever kind of bread you prefer!!]
1 - 8oz block of cream cheese (I would use less because we try to avoid cheese)
8 large eggs
6T butter, melted (here again, I would use less ... probably 1/4c/4T)
1/2c syrup (I would use 1/4c)
1t cinnamon
1t vanilla

Put half the bread, all the cheese and then the rest of the bread into a greased 9x13 baking dish/cake pan. Whisk together the rest and pour evenly into the pan. Slightly press down to moisten all the bread. Cover and store in fridge for up to 24 hours.
Bake, uncovered, at 325 degrees 45 minutes or till the center is set.
Let it sit for 10 minutes before serving.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

Ok, there you have it!! If you have a favourite make-ahead meal, please share it in the comment section.

2 comments:

  1. Our favorite and fastest breakfast is what I call "yogurt oats" I don't measure anything...
    Rolled oats (I like to roll mine fresh)
    Yogurt
    Fruit of choice
    Sweetener of choice
    Mix amounts you think are good. You want it wet because the oats will absorb much of the fluid while they sit. (You can add fruit and sweetener in the morning when it is easier to taste.) Let it sit over night in a warm spot, allowing the yogurt to break down the phytic acid making it much more digestible. Enjoy! This is a raw breakfast, no cooking involved. We use frozen fruit and run it through a food processor. It can also be made in large batches and stored in fridge (after sitting overnight) for a supper quick on the go breakfast. I make mine daily simply because I don't have room in my fridge, otherwise I'd probably make a week's worth at a time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds really good, thanks for sharing! God bless you all :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated - I will get to them as soon as possible. Thank you!