Thursday, February 12, 2015

Hempseed Review

The two brands being compared are:
Nutiva and Vitacost, organic, raw, shelled, shown here side-by-side (both were purchased from Vitacost):


While I'm certainly no hempseed expert, it really does seem to me that the Nutiva brand (left) is much better looking ... the seeds are far more plump and 'meaty' with a more consistent color. The Vitacost seeds (right) in comparison are lacking in size and are a bit dry. While both claim to be raw, the Vitacost seeds have much more brown going on, almost like they've been toasted a little? What do you think?

In case you are wondering, I put 3T of these in my daily green smoothies :) They add good fats, protein and a creamy texture; the flavor is pretty neutral as far as I can tell. 3T is also said to contain excellent amounts of a few other vitamins and minerals like phosphorus, magnesium and zinc.

While I use them exclusively in my smoothies (the only consistent thing I eat each day), they can also be sprinkled on to other food like salad, pizza, eggs, etc.

2 comments:

  1. It's funny, the brand I have is called Manitoba Harvest Hemp Hearts (raw shelled hemp seed) and the photo on the packaging looks like your photo on the left, but the actual seeds inside look more like the seeds in the photo on the right. I haven't yet tried any other brand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shari - I've went through several bags of both of these brands before finally giving up on the Vitacost brand. I'm so thankful for Vitacost products but the price difference is not much on these hemp seeds so I am just using the Nutiva brand from now on ... or until things change!!

    I cannot remember if I have tried another brand or not?!

    :) God bless you!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated - I will get to them as soon as possible. Thank you!