Thursday, July 10, 2008

Crock Pot Beans

Beans are cheap ... we buy them in 25lb bags through Azure Standard. Before I go to bed, I (or Corban) will fill the crockpot about 1/3 full with dry beans. I will wash them, then fill it up to about an inch from the top with water. I set the dial on 'warm', cover it, and go to bed. In the morning, I will set it to 'high' and cook till soft. Then I scoop the beans out with a small strainer and dump into a large strainer to rinse with cold water. The children divide up the beans into quart size freezer bags for meal-sized portions.
We use beans for a variety of things, however my favorites are black bean soup, minestrone soup, bean burgers, and in green salads.
They are good for you and cheap! In their dry state, they last a long time ... as long as mice do not get to them. Also, in their dry state, you can sprout them :)

A good book on using beans is "Country Beans" - I got this book about 7 years ago when I decided to be a vegetarian again (we are no long strict vegetarians, however we hardly eat animal products). I never knew beans could be used in so many ways till I got this book!!!

I'll share a few bean recipes in my next post. Have a great day!

In Christ,
Joanne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated - I will get to them as soon as possible. Thank you!