Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Save money ... shop at thrift stores and garage sales!

Today is wednesday ... which means HALF OFF DAY at the Salvation Army (all in NE and IA anyway; I'm not sure about other states)! YAY! Guess what day you can find me at the Salvation Army? Yeap, wednesday :)

My son Tylor is tall and getting taller every month. At one point a few months ago I prayed and told God He needed to provide Tylor with some pants, otherwise I was going to have to learn how to make them. We had been going to the thrift store at least once a month and could not find pants that fit Tylor (I forgot to mention that he's really skinny too). He was down to one pant. After praying the night before and the day of, we made the trip to the thrift store and I found EIGHT pants! I had to put some back. He has now grown out of all but 2. We went today and he found one that fit just right ... almost anyway. The waist is still a little big, but he can wear a belt (27x34). The jeans look new.
Tylor also needed some shoes. Usually I cannot find decent ones at the thrift store, however this time we found a black and brown pair for him :) He is wearing a size 12 right now. At least he has big enough feet to carry around that tall body!

Brianna and I found a few shirts. She had her mind set before we got there and knew she needed a yellow and a blue one. She found a nice yellow one and a blue one that will do till she finds one she likes better. (at only a dollar, it's ok to do that!) I have been wanting simple brown shoes for a while and I found what looks like an almost new pair.

Now for the big story! I have been wanting a good dish set for YEARS (7 or more years?). I kept looking and looking ... nothing was at the right price with a simple pattern and quality material. Today I found a 6 piece service for 12! (is that how you would say it?) There's 12 each of large, medium and small plates, regular and small bowls, cups and s&p shakers. It's Corelle and there's NO PATTERN! Even better, it's a creamy off-white color! And better still, I got it all for $15! My years of perseverance paid off.

Don't buy new! Usually garage sales are cheaper than thrift stores, however the selection at thrift stores can be better and you only have to go to one place ... save on gas!

One more thing ... when you find that one thing you've been praying about, make sure to praise the Lord!

Happy shopping!

In Christ,
Joanne

1 comment:

Comments are moderated - I will get to them as soon as possible. Thank you!