Saturday, August 14, 2010

Cleaning: From Top to Bottom

Well, I've thought for a while about what cleaning job to post first ... but I've also been very busy to say the least.  I was going to start with the bathroom, however I had another thought.  Why not do something that's all over the house?  So this coming week, if you can, I suggest focusing on:
COBWEBS AND DUST
Yes ... both are everywhere!  Do a quick walk through your house and look up - more likely than not you'll find at least SOME of both.  If you are like most people however, you will find a LOT of both.  Cobwebs like to stick to the corners of walls, the tops and corners of doors, the ceiling, windows, and other places too.  While dust can and will be found just about everywhere, for this first cleaning, only focus on the dust that is on the tops of the door and window frames; the other dust [shelves, pictures, clocks, etc.] will be taken care of some other time - unless you have the time and energy to do them now. 

TO DO
Go through your house with some sort of cobweb sweeper.  A broom works well, however you can also use a duster with an extended handle or a vacuum attachment.  Sweep every corner of each room from top to bottom.  Also sweep along the top of each wall where it meets the ceiling.  If it's been a long time since you've done this, or if you have a lot of spiders, you may also need to sweep each wall - paying close attention to where pictures, shelves, or other furniture meet the wall.
Next go through with a damp cloth and wipe the tops of each door and window frame.  In our old house, this was a job for my tall son.  I had to drag a step stool around, however all he had to do was lift his arm up comfortably.  :)  If you have time and baseboards, wipe those too.  This is a good job for a shorter child.  :)  :)
Now, you are done ... unless all that dust sitting around bothers you, in which case, you may want to do a quick dusting and vacuuming. 

That's it for now.  If you have suggestions on this topic, please post a comment.  With as busy as I've been, I'll need all the help and brain-power I can get!

6 comments:

  1. Great post! I think I just read recently (Martha Stewart mag?) that if you use a little lemon oil in corners of your house it deters those daddy long legs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did the cobwebs and doors and windowframes. Yay!
    I thought you would just use this to kindly remind me which part of my house has been getting too bad :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joanna ... you are funny! I'll be sure to inspect your work the next time I come over! :)
    No, I did not have you in mind ... I actually had the church in mind. It seems I just cleaned out the cobwebs not too long ago, but already they are all over the place again. They have a way of suddenly popping up!!

    Veiled Glory - Bathrooms ... maybe I'll do that next?

    Legendswife - thank you for the tip, although I would not put lemon oil on nothing that is porous - it will soak in and stain.

    Lord bless you all!
    Love, js

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joanne,
    Great post. I clean the same way. We just moved to a smaller home and it is so much easier to keep clean. Have a very blessed day. I am looking forward to getting to know you better.
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Elizabeth - thank you for visiting my blog! I too really appreciate small spaces. We do our best to have as little as possible :) but I cannot help right now the size of my living place! We need to go through it again and get the new cobwebs off ... they come up so suddenly.

    I hope to do another cleaning post soon, but have a 'bug' post in mind next.

    Lord bless you - js

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated - I will get to them as soon as possible. Thank you!