Wednesday, October 27, 2010

My new dress pattern

Well, I'm getting closer to the kind of dress I'd like to wear. This is the results of a lot of hard work, thinking, etc. I took the top of a tunic I like and made a pattern for the dress bodice and sleeves out of that; the dress skirt is from a skirt I like. The tunic top is from an actual pattern, but I altered that a bit too.
I want to make one change next time - I hope to figure out how to make the tunic top a 'boat neck' so I do not have to have the slit in the front (it's hard to see in these pictures).
The fabric is a king-sized sheet I got from the thrift store - $1. It was PINK, but I dyed it taupe. The dye was not quite $2. So, that's about $3 plus labor. I might change the color at some point; it seems a little too light for my liking. I get things stained up and dirty quickly, so dark colors are better.



The back looks a little fitted here, but it's actually not; I think my elbows must have been pulling on the fabric.


6 comments:

  1. Beautiful Joanne! I admire your ability to work a pattern into something you like. It's something I'm trying to learn right now actually. :)
    What type of dye do you use?

    May YHWH bless you,
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's beautiful! Modest and feminine, truly. I've been looking for something like that. Could you share any information about the patterns with which you began? Thanks, Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Creating a boat neck is really easy if you use some freezer paper or other wide roll of plain poster paper. Trace the neckline you want, then trace the outer edge onto a scrap of paper. Make a parallel line around about 3 inches outside of this to make a facing. Done!

    Looks like a great idea. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mia - so far I have only used RIT dye; it's found in the detergent/laundry section of many stores.

    LizBeth - I might just do another blog post on how I got to where I am.

    VG - Thank you for the information! It seems you might have it a little differently than what I'm thinking of in my head, but I'll keep it in mind if what I am thinking does not work.
    Do you know how little babies wear those "Onesies" outfits - the little t-shirts that snap down between their legs? The shoulder part on those Onesies is what I'm thinking of in my head, but with a boat-neck instead of a round one. Hmmm ... I don't know if this makes sense or not! It's hard to describe in writing - maybe I'll draw a picture!

    Lord bless you all - js

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice. :)
    ~Blessings~

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated - I will get to them as soon as possible. Thank you!