Saturday, January 1, 2011

Another tunic design

Brianna designed me a tunic the other day - I wanted a tunic that had no buttons, no zippers, no 'v-neck', no big hole for the head, etc. Just a plain front. So, I told her to do the neck in a certain way - like a onesies - so my head could fit in and then it would close up again. The difference is that the onesies has the fabric from the back overlapping in the front, however mine is overlapping in the back. Here's a picture of a onesies in case you do not know:



Here is the results of a lot of hard work on Brianna's part:



And another picture ... Tylor looks kind of funny :) the sun was in his eyes.


In case you were wondering, the material is a linen/cotton blend; it was a large tablecloth I picked up a long time ago for very cheap (a few dollars?). I appreciate the design along the edge - it seems to break up the tunic from the dress. Also, there was not enough material to make a full dress, so Brianna used other material for the parts you cannot see.

No buttons, no zippers, no funny v-necks ... just plain and simple. There are still a few 'quirks' to be worked out, but who cares? It's good enough and very comfortable ... and most importantly, modest.

6 comments:

  1. I do like your tunic! When I first started wearing a headcovering and skirts/dresses only, I thought to wear a tunic over my skirt. Then I was given a pattern for a vest, so shortened the tunic pattern as a blouse (it had buttons at the front). It is good looking at different designs for modest clothing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you both. I used to wear a vest but I just felt so 'naked' in it. I tried to change it a bit so it was longer but it still did not look right. I am thankful for our new pattern ... and I think we'll take a break from an serious design changes till the new clothes wear out. We only have a few dresses each and use whatever material we can find ... so some last a little longer than others. I plan to have Brianna 'doctor up' my two old dresses so I can wear them too.

    :) It's a process. I'm thankful Brianna enjoys sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it has no shape what so ever....like i couldn't tell if you were a women or not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like how you designed the neck. I never thought of that. I want to try it now. At this time I am in a church that requires a cape dress, although that is not our desire. But we are waiting on the Lord's leading to take us where He wants us. But I wonder if I could do this with a cape? Do you think it would be possible. I will definately try it on my little girls dresses. So much easier for them to dress themselves. :) Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hannah - Yes, I think it would be possible to use this neck on a cape dress. I do not care for cape dresses myself ... tight waistlines and the shape of the breast shows on the sides. :( And they are uncomfortable. We used to get some hand-me-down cape dresses and would change them to suit our needs. Took out the elastic, added a panel to the bottom to make the skirt longer, and put a vest or tunic over it. It was a blessing to have the free clothing and we made it work for us.

    Anonymous - I see I never responded to your comment. I'm not trying to show my shape ... I'm trying to cover it up. So, I guess it worked :) Maybe the veiling and the other things about me show that I am a woman. As of yet, I have never been mistaken for a man.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated - I will get to them as soon as possible. Thank you!