Sunday, April 1, 2012

Do it yourself

Part of being a frugal person is being willing to try to do things yourself; my dad has always been a great example of this. Growing up I thought and knew that "my dad can fix anything!" and that's pretty much true. A brother at our old church told us once how his dad had a saying: "If it can be fixed, we can fix it." Between growing up around my dad and working with all the brothers we have in the Lord, my boys now know that "if it can be fixed, we can fix it." I am so thankful for the good examples around them.

These last several days we have been out of town helping my dad with his roof. While I never got up on the roof, I was happy to be the 'go fer' ... running around here and there trying to get the right nails for the job. Two brothers from our church came with (Olen Yutzy and Chris Irick) and two brothers from our old church were able to help us out on saturday (Elson Miller and Leon Zook). What a blessing!! We always enjoy working together like this and I know my dad was so thankful for the extra hands. The men did not get everything done, but they did get all the stuff done that would have been hard for dad to do on his own.

Our camera woman was left at home to tend to the chickens, the gardens, the seedlings, and to help out a sister who's husband is out of town. I did the best I could, but I know I do not compare to Brianna! I only remembered to grab the camera a few times ... here is what I got:

Elson and Corban

Corban

Leon taking a water break; Olen getting the next piece ready.

A picture of the whole front of the house.

Chris peeking over the edge.

Tylor and dad (Steve)

I like this picture of Chris' hat over the top of the roof :)

Tylor

Tylor and Corban - that black spot above Tylor is a bird.

I like this picture of Olen ... the beautiful blue sky and the pretty green roof.


And then there's one of dad's cats walking around the tools on the kitchen counter. Yuck. Dad has cat hair everywhere! But, they sure are nice cats.

We were blessed to stay over at Elsons' house thursday evening for a nice time of fellowship. We got to dad's on friday morning and had a long day of work. It started to rain a little towards the end, but then that was all for the rest of the time. Saturday we finished around 5, cleaned up, went out to eat, and then most of us took a nice walk around dad's neighborhood. We got up early sunday morning and made it in time for church at 10am (6 hour drive). A sister here, Monica Rohrer who Brianna stayed with, was so thoughtful to have us lunch in the crock pot! I was beyond thankful to not have to worry about fixing up something to eat. They stayed for lunch and then went home. Here are two pictures of after-lunch play:

Carina and Martina Rohrer :) I don't know what they were doing, but it sure was cute! They pulled the chairs to the couch like that and were playing something.


Here is a picture Brianna got of them this morning I guess before they left for church:

Cute. 

Ok. Time to make some supper.

1 comment:

  1. glad you had a good time. glad I don't need to go on that high roof :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated - I will get to them as soon as possible. Thank you!