Thursday, October 4, 2012

How to pressure can chicken with bone

(for a basic "how to use a pressure canner" video, see this post: Pressure Canning Beans -- it shows beans but the canning procedure is the same)
Here are the basics ...

First, get yourself some chickens. We got these for free from a friend; they were former laying hens (broilers of some kind ... I don't know my chicken breeds yet) past their prime and thus rescued from being shipped off somewhere else. We had them in 'rehab' for about 4 weeks (organic feed, lots of fresh veggie and fruit scrap, etc.) till their droppings and their bodies looked healthy. These things didn't even know how to eat grass at first. Seriously. It was sad. Before we butchered them, they were somewhat relaxed around us and acted like 'normal' chickens.

After butchering the chickens, store them in the fridge or other cool place for 8-12 hours before proceeding. Why is this? I'm not sure really! Maybe it helps with the flavor or the tenderness of the meat? Now you are ready to cut the chickens into 8pcs. If you do not know how to do this, do a quick youtube search for "how to cut a whole chicken" or something of the sort. A few tips I can give you in writing that might make sense: feel for the joints and be sure to cut the tendons first. I like to cut the skin away from both thighs, grab both and twist them under till I hear or feel the joints pop on both sides. Cut off the leg quarters. Next cut the thighs from the legs where the bones meet. The wings can be a bit tricky too ... I lift up one wing till the whole (or what's left of it) chicken is suspended in air. I then cut the tendon on the underside of the arm/wing - this seems to free it up well enough to easily cut the arm/wing off.

By now all you should have left is the breast. If it's a smaller chicken, leave the bones on. Cut the breast and rib cage portion off the back portion and then cut the breasts in half, right down the middle of the breast bone. As was the case today, my chickens were much too large for me to do this with so I just cut the meat off as best as I could. Here you see a picture of the breast meat and the tender meat which is right under the breast.

Here is another picture ...

I chose to skin most of my chickens; I left the skin on the wings and some on the leg but took off what was easy enough to pull off without much trouble. The last chickens I did must have been younger ... the skin was easy to pull off. These chickens were a bit tough so I had to use scissors to help cut it away.

Brianna got me here ... slimy hands and all :)

Place the meat in quart mason jars - bone side in if you can. Add a tsp of salt if desired. Do not add liquid; it will make its own. Pressure can at 10lbs (weighted gauge) or 11lbs (dial gauge) for 75 minutes (65 for pints). If you choose to do boneless, the time changes to 90 minutes (75 for pints). Be sure to adjust pressure for higher altitudes - if this is you, do a quick google search of something like: high altitude canning pressure adjustments.

The finished product. 6 good sized hens yielded 12 full quarts.

Now you should have a bunch of skin and bones left over right? And probably a decent amount of meat left behind on the bones, right? And feet? (this is the first time I'm trying it with the feet - I heard they add a very good flavor) Make chicken stock. I will use two large pots for my 6 hens, dividing up the remnants between the two. I like to add water several inches above the carcasses. Throw in a chopped onion, celery, carrot, garlic, salt, whatever ... or nothing at all. More often than not, I'll just add a little salt. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for about 45 minutes or till the meat can be pulled easily off. Simmer longer if you'd like - can turn the heat up, leave off the lid and boil off more liquid for a stronger flavor. Remove carcasses from pot(s). Pick off the meat ... freeze this for chicken pot pie, chicken pizza, or whatever else you need chicken pieces for - or use it for supper tonight. Strain out everything else till there's only liquid remaining. Pour into clean quart or pint jars. Process times: dial gauge 11lbs pressure, weighted gauge 10lbs pressure for 25min (pints 20). Again, be sure to adjust for higher altitudes.

There you have it. Your very own chicken AND chicken stock. Nothing added except what you have allowed.

7 comments:

  1. After you get the meat off throw the bones and skin back in a crockpot with a tablespoon of lemon juice or apple cider vinegar and put on low for about 24 hours. I pulls all the calcium and collagen out and makes super healthy bone broth! Scientifically proven better than calcium supplements.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I could ever bring myself to butcher any animal! :( But I realize what you are doing is very humane and healthy, vs. mass processed food from factories! So good for you and also good for the chickens, for having a good life, because you know they wouldn't have if they had been "shipped off somewhere". :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wish you could come here and show me how to can chicken lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me - thanks for the suggestion. We already made broth but without the ACV. We'll have to use that next time.

    Min - I see butchering as something needful ... I'd much rather eat something that I know was treated nice and had a 'good life' rather than eating something that was mass-produced in a factory farm. That stuff is just plain 'yucky' to me!!

    Renee - Give it a try! There is really not much to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ok, please explain how you used the feet! I know that it makes amazing stock and when you use the ACV you are getting all the good stuff for joint health (FOR FREE!) so please explain this to me. We may be butchering our chickens next week rather than trying to deal with them in the winter and I will plan to can them and make stock....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two comments: Feet - scald in hot water and then 'peel their socks off.' Toss 'em in the stockpot with everything else.
    Stock - We like to make it in our pressure cooker. Put in all the stuff you want, add water, and bring it up to 10 lb pressure for 15 or twenty minutes. Presto! Great stock. Not as good as all day back burner maybe, but so easy to do we actually get it done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Tim - I see I forgot to answer Ami about the feet!!!

    I have actually never used a pressure cooker (but have used a pressure canner for several years). The only reason I have never used one is because all of the ones I have access to are made of aluminum and am concerned about it getting into my food. This is not a concern with canning since the food is protected in the glass jars, but that's not the case with using the cooker. If I can ever get my hands on a cheap pressure cooker that is not aluminum I will give it a try and see what happens.

    On a side note, I usually leave my stock to simmer much longer than 45 minutes. 3-4 hours would be more like it.

    Thanks again for the tips Tim!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated - I will get to them as soon as possible. Thank you!