Friday, January 10, 2014

Packaged / Processed foods ARE convenient!!

Let's be honest here. Store-bought packaged and processed foods ARE convenient!

The other day I had the tedious job of picking meat off turkey bones after simmering the stock for a day or so. I was not feeling the best, so even this easy job was really big to me at the time. I had the thought about how YES!! packaged foods are convenient! I could just buy some cooked turkey meat and some canned turkey stock at the store. No effort involved whatsoever because I could even send someone else to the store for me. However then I would not know what was in the meat or the stock and it certainly would NOT be frugal! [I don't have money for that anyway] While I believe these packaged, processed foods DO have a place on rare occasion, I do not believe they should be the norm.

But, these are not the ONLY processed, packaged foods available; you can make your own at home! And that's exactly what I was doing ... now I have 4 freezer bags of turkey stock (8c each and one with 4c) and a gallon freezer bag of meat. Think of all the meals I can make with that. Turkey and noodle soup. Turkey and dumplings. Hot turkey sandwiches with turkey gravy and mashed potatoes.  A little bit of effort now means less effort at meal prep time.

I hope to post more about this in the near future, however for now I must go to bed; it's been a long day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated - I will get to them as soon as possible. Thank you!