Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Tasty Tuesday: Homemade Brown Gravy and Biscuit Tips

This was supposed to be posted last week, however all the sudden I felt like I got hit by a bus and hardly survived. The flu. I slept for four days straight and then spent the rest taking it easy by necessity. And I am STILL puny! I think it hit me so hard because of MS but I'm not sure? I didn't know I was capable of sleeping for days at a time. Then Corban got it. Then Brianna. Malachi did not seem to get it but did have the yucky stomach thing instead. Tylor is the only one that got a very mild version of it. He's been a great blessing to us sick folks!

Anyway, enough of that mess :) here is the delayed 'tasty tuesday' post. I hope it's a help to someone.

Brown Gravy. The secret? Toasting the flour till it's somewhat golden brown. It adds just the right flavor and color. Here is a quick video I did of that:


Now ... gravy  making is different for everyone. The ingredients will vary depending on what you are making and what you have on hand, however the basic components are: liquid, flour and fat. Liquid could be water, stock or milk. You already have your browned flour (and extra for later if you made a few cups!). The fat can be the drippings from the pan of whatever meat you are cooking, or you can use butter (a good substitute) or really you can just cut the fat out altogether, however your gravy will not be as rich tasting. Of course you might need to add some seasonings as well, however that's done at the last.

The ingredient ratio will be something like 2c of liquid per1/4c flour and fat. That's a good place to start (we double or sometimes triple this - so it will all depend on your needs).

Start with fat (opt) and flour and then slowly add the liquid, whisking all the while till very smooth. If you are not using fat, you might find it easier to start with cold ingredients. Or, if you can, take the meat out of your roasting pan and begin adding the gravy ingredients to it. The method is pretty versatile ... the main point is to whisk almost constantly while adding ingredients to prevent lumps.

TIP: If you find it clumping and heating too fast, remove it from the heat and continue whisking till you have things under control. Return to the heat source and continue on. And another
TIP: Sometimes it's easier to just throw everything into the blender. ;)

Be sure to simmer for a while before deciding to add more flour - it will thicken as it heats but it will eventually stop getting thicker. If it's too thick, add a little more liquid. If it's not thick enough, in a little bowl or cup add a few tablespoons of flour to a fourth cup of COLD water, whisk till blended well, and then whisk in to gravy. If you just put the flour directly into the gravy you will have little dumplings instead of smooth gravy.

OK, now for another fun tip.

While traveling recently I watched a sister making biscuits. Instead of taking time to roll the biscuits out, she simply used an ice cream scooper. GENIUS! I was so thankful to see this handy tip and have put it in to practice several times since being back.
You may flatten slightly with the back-side of the scoop.

4 comments:

  1. The flu? How awful! I'm so glad to hear you are on the mend.

    Great tip with the ice cream scoop. I need to get one with the lever so I can implement it. (And a smaller one for cookies; I can't believe I do that manually with a spoon...!)

    Praying for you and the entire house to be all recovered. Rest up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Ana :) We are all feeling much better by now, praise the Lord. I still have a cough but I know it will go away eventually.

    Yes, I really appreciated the ice cream scoop idea :) I never did get a small one for cookies ... but I don't make cookies very often. You are health-minded too ... do you have any good, healthy cookie recipes?! I have one that I appreciate but I just do not make them. Maybe I should go home right now and surprise everyone?!

    Hmmm.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't make cookies often either! This is a pretty good recipe for almond butter cookies:

    1 cup almond butter
    3/4 cup natural sweetener
    1 large egg (or 1 tbsp flax + 3 tbsp water)
    ½ teaspoon baking soda
    ¼ teaspoon salt
    3 oz. dark chocolate pieces (I think you could use raisins or dates, but I like the dark chocolate) I like my Dutch dough whisk for recipes like this. :)

    Combine first five ingredients well and then stir in the chocolate. Bake in a preheated 350* oven for 10-12 minutes.

    There is another cookie recipe that calls for simply mashed bananas, oats, and either chocolate chips or raisins. I can't remember if it had butter/coconut oil or not. I lost the original recipe, and never tried to play around and figure it out again. I did like it better than the above, though.

    And these aren't cookies, but look good (they are on my list to make for the week, Lord willing):
    1 cup coconut oil
    ½ cup honey
    ¼ cup cocoa powder
    ½ cup pecans or walnuts, chopped
    ½ cup coconut flakes, (optional)

    Process in a food processor until well combined. Drop on cookie sheet and cool in freezer for 45 minutes.

    I would like to hear your recipe for cookies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These both sound really good! Thank you for taking the time to share it. I'll have to find my recipe and get back to you :)

    I've been slacking on emails and comments the last week or so ... it's time to catch up!

    God bless you all :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated - I will get to them as soon as possible. Thank you!