Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Cauliflower Pudding?

Yes, I was skeptical but I HAD to try it ... and I'm glad I did. When simmered till soft with vanilla, lemon zest and almond milk, cauliflower actually becomes a great base for dairy-free pudding. I found the recipe here but will put a copy of it below (the site has good photos though, so check it out). If you try it be sure to pay attention to the tips and cautions given.
Now I am going to experiment further and try to create my own flavours. Cauliflower is so good for you but it's just not something I eat an a regular basis. Maybe now I will? I have just never thought of using it as a cream sauce! I'm excited.

Ok, now for the recipe. I used honey for the sweetener and had to simmer the cauliflower about twice as long as suggested.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TIPS/CAUTIONS:
Make sure you weigh your cauliflower or, if you don't have a scale, only roughly chop the florets, measure and then cook.

If you do not have a powerful blender like a Blendtec or Vitamix, opt to finely grind your cauliflower before cooking so that it is easier to puree.

 Ingredients:

  • 3 cups (350 grams) of roughly chopped cauliflower
  • 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • zest from 1 large lemon
  • 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (NOT the bottled stuff)

Directions:

Add cauliflower, almond milk, sugar, extract and zest to a medium sized saucepan. Bring to a boil on medium-high heat, uncovered. Once boiling, reduce heat to a simmer and cook uncovered for 5-7 minutes, until cauliflower is very soft. Remove from heat.

Add in lemon juice and pour into the bowl of your food processor or blender. Blend on high for 1 minute, or until very smooth. Pour into a clean bowl and allow to cool at room temperature. Cover and refrigerate overnight, for at least 18 hours. Refrigeration helps the bold lemon flavor subside and really transforms this pudding. Do not skip this step!

Substitution notes:

  • Feel free to use any type of non-dairy milk you have on hand. I like using unsweetened almond milk for my dessert recipes because it's naturally sweeter (and lower in fat and carbs) than other non-dairy milks.
  • Any type of sugar would work here. White, brown, coconut sugar...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated - I will get to them as soon as possible. Thank you!