Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Homemade Hummus

homemade hummus / homemade pita
I really like hummus :) so for today's 'tasty tuesday' I'm sharing how I make them. The word "hummus" is actually an Arabic word for "chickpeas" ... how appropriate, right?! I eat hummus just about any way they are to be eaten - as a dip, in a pita, as a spread, a side dish/condiment, and sometimes just by the spoonful. For a bit of trivia, visit this HUMMUS wiki page ... I thought it was very interesting and besides, it contains a few nice photos of various ways hummus can be served.

For those who cannot view the video below, here is the recipe in print:
Ingredient list:
3 1/2c chickpeas/garbanzo beans (rinse and drain)
1/4c tahini
1/4c fresh squeezed lemon juice
1/4c packed fresh parsley
1/8c braggs liquid aminos (or 1t salt)
1T extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic (crush or press)

Blend all in a vitamix or food processor till smooth.
Serve as a dip or sandwich/pita spread.
Feel free to change / add / or leave out various ingredients.
For example, add 1t cayenne, a little cumin, omit the parsley and stir in when done, etc.

This is a very healthy dish, easy to make and tastes great. Enjoy!! 

4 comments:

  1. Hi, I like hummus too, but my question is about your last post which I just got a chance to read. Why is your church building wearing the name of Monet. Is that the town or community you live in? Just questioning because It is not a biblical name, unless it just reflects where it is located. Thanks, Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Barbara - our church is in Monett, MO, so we call our church 'the church of Monett' or sometimes 'the church in Monett'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Joanne, 2 questions.
    Are the chickpeas cooked, sprouted or raw? And what is tahini? If it's and "ethnic" food is there a substitute because I may have trouble getting it if it is. Thanks! I've been wanting to learn how to make this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good questions Ami!

    You may use sprouted chickpeas if you'd like but I prefer soaked and cooked. I soak mine for at least 24 hours and then pressure can them. Or of course you may use commercially canned chickpeas. I would NOT use raw though :)

    As for tahini - it is sesame seed butter (like peanut butter, almond butter, etc.). If you have a food processor or high powered blender you may make your own tahini. Roasted sesame seeds will blend up on their own and create their own oil. Raw however will probably need a bit of oil blended in. I'm sure the internet will have plenty of recipes!

    I have never tried a tahini alternative in hummus so I cannot help you there. You might try peanut or almond butter, however it WILL alter the finished taste. You may try a bit of sesame oil instead and leave out the tahini altogether. Start with 1 teaspoon, taste it and add more if you think it needs more.

    I hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated - I will get to them as soon as possible. Thank you!