Saturday, June 26, 2010

A breakfast favorite

Lentils are SO CHEAP and very delicious!  We order them through Azure Standard; a 25 pound sack costs ~$15 ... that's $.60/lb. The corn tortillas are ~$3.00 for 88 of them (~3.5 cents each), and the eggs are free.  Here's the 'dollar menu' breakdown:

Lentils $.30
Corn Tortillas $.28
Eggs $0
Bananas $.50

A breakfast meal for 4 ... ~$1.08.

For the lentils:
I cook 4 cups at a time, use what we need for breakfast, and then save the rest for whatever.  (it usually lasts a few more meals).  Place 4c of lentils in a larger pot, rinse, drain, and cover with about 7c water.  Bring to a boil, cover & simmer till done.  Add more water if needed.  I like my lentils to have extra water :)  Cook till done.  I add salt and italian seasonings.  That's it. Nothing fancy. 

Now I need to get a good corn tortilla recipe so I can save money that way too.

EDIT: I just went to the store where we get the tortillas and noticed that some of them were past the date on the package.  I asked the manager if he would give me a discount and he did.  He sold them to me for $1 a pack (that's $2 off).  So now instead of ~3.5 cents each, the tortillas are ~1.13 cents each :) 
I was a little hesitant to ask for the discount, however I had gotten them for $1 before when they were past date (the store puts the past-date/must go items in a basket at the front so you see it right when you come in - I always check the basket).  I am so thankful for this blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated - I will get to them as soon as possible. Thank you!