Sunday, June 27, 2010

Bulk Cooking ... OH deer!

This is a very simple, tasty, versatile and cheap recipe ... I don't have a name for it, but it's made of ground meat, beans and rice.  I season it 'Mexican-style' (???) - onions, garlic, salt, cumin, chili powder, etc.


The recipe is really whatever you want it to be, but I'll tell you roughly what I used [all measurements are approximate]:
*4 pounds of ground deer meat (fry with onions and garlic)
*6 cups of brown rice, cooked (turns out to be a big pot of cooked rice)
*2 gallon freezer bags of cooked beans (I cleaned out my freezer and found garbanzo and navy beans, so that's what I used this time)
*Season to taste; add water to help stir it.
[can omit the meat and add more beans or lentils for a vegetarian option; we use meat if we get it for free, otherwise we leave it out]

Allow to cool, and then store in serving size freezer bags.  I'll get about 4 gallon freezer bags out of what you see in the picture - it's a very large bowl!  I store in gallon bags, thaw one out and then use it over several days for various things.  Some ideas are taco stuffing, casseroles, taco soup, nachos/haystacks, burritos, or whatever else suits your tastes.  Enjoy!

Cost break-down
Meat - $0 (free deer from friends)
Rice - ~$1 (buy in bulk for about $.80 a pound)
Beans - ~$2 (buy in bulk for about $1 a pound)
Seasonings - ~$1 (??? maybe I'm being liberal here?)

Total cost - ~$4 ... and it will last for many meals.

1 comment:

  1. yum, I will have to try this, Jacob,and I hunt so we have plenty of deer meat :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated - I will get to them as soon as possible. Thank you!