Monday, June 14, 2010

Fish Head Soup?


David V., Corban, Tylor and our friend Malachi from Omaha all went fishing the other day.  They brought home 5 fish and saved the fish heads for Brian.  Today he made us fish head soup.  I can honestly say that's something I never thought I would eat ... but now that I've eaten it, I cannot help but wonder why the heads are always thrown out?  There's a lot of meat in there!  Brian eats all if it (the eyes, the brain, the meat) but I only ate the meat ... maybe next time I'll try the eyes and the brain. 
He seasoned it with garlic, onion, cilantro, lime, ginger, salt and probably some other stuff.  It was tasty.

3 comments:

  1. hmmm Joanne uuum well first place ACK on fish rofl then NO lol I never would ever of thought of a head in soup lol Id feel it would be looking at me rofl

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Americans are about the only ones with an aversion to fish heads. I grew up on the mission field, and eating the heads, and sometimes guts, of just about any type of animal is common pratice. They make fritters out of minnows and enjoy them without any ill effects. I'm sure you know you can't clean a minnow.
    We went there in March and enjoyed a succulent meal of pig snout and rice and boiled green bananas!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was a little skeptical at first :) but once I started picking it apart I couldn't help but wonder why we always threw the heads away. We did a LOT of fishing when I was growing up ... that's a lot of wasted meat!

    Use it up, wear it out, or do without. We are so spoiled here and it's really to our disadvantage. God forbid that severe persecution comes [it will come] and all the sudden we have to live like most of the other people in the world!

    Lord bless you both.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated - I will get to them as soon as possible. Thank you!