Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Tasty Tuesday: "Road Trip Biscuits" or meal-in-a-biscuit

A few weeks ago I made a 'frugal fridays' post about meals and snacks that were good for travelling. A commenter mentioned an all-in-one savoury muffin, and while I've done something similar I never thought to make it a complete meal. The other morning I decided to make some all-in-one biscuits (or, 'meal-in-a-biscuit') and they turned out great. To keep things simple, I dropped the biscuits onto the pan instead of rolling them out; when I make biscuits this way I will either brush melted butter over the top or we'll each butter our own on the bottom (a flat surface).


SAVOURY "road trip" BISCUITS
4c flour (I like to do half unbleached white and half whole grain)
2T sweetener
2T baking powder
2t onion powder/granules (mincing a small onion would be yummy too but I did not have time for that)
1t EACH: cream of tartar, salt, garlic powder/granules [may sub one fresh clove], and thyme
1/2c fat
1 1/2c liquid (I used broth but water or milk will work too)
1/2c parmesan cheese or 1c grated cheese of your choice
1/2lb cooked meat in small pieces
1lb cooked veggies in small pieces

Combine the dry ingredients (everything listed before the fat) and mix well. If you are using solid fat, cut the solid fat into the dry ingredients. If you are using liquid fat, measure out the fat with the liquid. Add the liquid (or liquid/fat mixture) to the dry mixture and stir gently. Do not mix all the way yet. Add the remaining ingredients and stir gently till combined. Drop onto greased sheets and bake at 450 till done.
Brush tops with butter/butter garlic or spread butter on the bottoms. May also sprinkle extra parmesan cheese on top before serving. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm giving my husband (who is in charge of the kitchen lately) charge to try these, they look so good! I love these kinds of road trip foods - we try to take everything and buy nothing at all when we drive those two long days across the country :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated - I will get to them as soon as possible. Thank you!